top of page
A Pet’s Ten Commandments
1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.
2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.
3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.
4. Don’t be angry with me for long and don’t lock me up as punishment. You have
your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.
5. Talk to me. Even if I don’t understand your words, I do understand your voice
when speaking to me.
6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.
7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and
yet I choose not to bite you.
8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something
might be bothering me. Perhaps I’m not getting the right food, I have been in
the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.
9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.
10. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can’t bear
to watch. Don’t make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if
you are there, because I love you so.
bottom of page